Wilderness

Wilderness

Monday, May 19, 2014

Day 3: We Found Life!

Our view from yesterday was barren and lifeless, like a distant planet. I imagine the moon looking something like the badlands:


But our next destination, in a distant land 50 miles away ("as the bird flies," according to Mellisa) was quite the opposite. It's got vegetation and solid rock that won't crumble on contact, and we've already seen more wildlife here in one quick drive than we saw in two days at the badlands. 



I think of the two scenes as adopted brothers from different countries living under the same roof. Close in proximity but far from related. Initially, I was worried that I'd grow tired of hiking every day, but now I realize that the land isn't as monotonous as I'd originally expected, and I'm in for a new adventure every day. Today, we hiked up to the top of one of the mountain structures called Saddle Pass. I climbed up to the highest peak and took quite a lovely picture: 


I'm not ashamed. I was just really excited about a little rock man that we'd just built. It was so realistic that I wouldn't be surprised if it came alive and haunted those hills for the rest of eternity. If you've ever seen Frozen, I'd say he's kind of like the big avalanche ice man that Elsa creates to protect her ice castle. Except our little guy was rock, not ice. So cute. Little distractions like this are the reason that the 2 mile hike took us 2 hours. I bet Suresh got about 1,000 photos, including a few of me that I will never claim. After a while out here, you stop looking like yourself. I had on a t-shirt 3 sizes too big, a pair of nylon khaki pants, and some bulky, muddy, brown and gray hiking boots. Hot, right? It's only gonna get better from here.

We've got a 4 mile hike planned for tomorrow, and knowing the frequency of picture-taking and the tendency of ADD in this group, it will probably take us 5 hours. I do love that everyone here appreciates the beauty around us though. I know I'll always learn to appreciate something new when I hike with them. But I can't lie. After only 3 days, I'm already wanting to just spend a lazy afternoon relaxing at our campsite. I set up my hammock on a rock formation that overlooks Stockade Lake, and I've got books on deck for days. I do love hiking, but only when balanced with just the right amount of laziness and reflection. Or maybe i only feel this way because of how spectacular our campsite is. I wish I had a photo to give it justice. I'll work on that. 

And the moment that I realized there was a shower within walking distance, I swear it was like finding out my best friend had risen from the dead. I'd prepared myself to accept defeat with regard to my hygiene, and the thought of it had long been buried in the cemetery of other sacrificed modern commodities, such as shaving and electricity and cell phone service. But then I heard the word "shower," and thought to myself, "alas, not all is lost!" Yes, those were the exact words. If thinking the word "alas" makes me a dork, then so be it. 

With each day, I like the people around me more and more. The group dynamic couldn't be better, in my opinion. Hopefully that goes for everyone. The professors are hilarious, especially at night when they're not so busy thinking about rocks. (For example, today we stopped right on the side of the highway to search for marine fossils because I'm pretty sure Garihan saw a fossil about 100 yards away from our van going 75 miles an hour. So impressive. Except I, for one, had no interest in getting out of the van, and I wouldn't recognize a fossil if it was 5 feet, grew legs, and sang the national anthem while chasing me down the highway.) Ranson and Garihan are clearly the two best friends of all time, and seeing them interact makes me hope that someday I'll have a friend that has stuck around for over 20 years. Then Suresh's dry and spontaneous sense of humor always makes me laugh, because I never know what to expect from him. I've never stopped to think about my professors' lives and personalities outside of the classroom, but I'd like to put in more effort to learn about them as people and not just as academics. The Dr. Garihan I knew from EES-110 is a far cry from the Garihan on this trip. Three days with this group has already taught me that I need to care more about strangers and realize that there is always, without exception, more than meets the eye. Sometimes it takes a little digging and pillaging to discover a person, just like it takes some effort and courage to find the most beautiful caves in a mountain or to see the most beautiful view of a lake. It can get messy and you might want to stop and turn back, but it's so worth it once you get there. There's my corny analogy for today. Maybe tomorrow's will be a little more enlightening. Deuces. 





No comments:

Post a Comment